I came across this fantastic recipe by The Veggie Girl (check her out, her blog has great content), and wanted to share it with you.
This recipe is simple and you can make it in less than 5 minutes. If you’re vegetarian not vegan, you could add a hard boiled egg for even more protein. But keep in mind, chickpeas are a powerhouse of protein. Just one cup of chickpeas packs a whopping 39 grams! FYI, the average woman should be getting between 60-75 grams of protein daily.
Here’s the simple, delicious recipe –
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup dill pickles, finely chopped
- ¾ cup purple onion, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 Tbs vegan mayo
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tsp dried dill weed
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp pink himilayan sea salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric
Sidebar – I always use organic when possible
- First, using a potato masher or a fork, mash the chickpeas into a shredded texture, leaving a few chickpeas whole.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients with the chickpeas
3. I found this ah-mazing Hydroponically grown lettuce that I wanted to try. Hydroponically grown just means that the plants were grown in a nutrient rich solution and not soil. Plants get many of their nutrients from the soil and hydroponics can and does offer just as many nutrients as the soil grown plants. But…a word of caution, some hydroponic solutions are not organic – it just depends on the farm. You’ve got to do your research.
If you’d rather have your Vegan Chicken Salad in a sandwich, you can top it off with some alfalfa sprouts, shaved carrots, spinach leaves, even black olives!
Thanks Veggie Girl, it’s delicious!