Perfect light lunch to eat before doing some holiday shopping. It fills you up so you don’t grab fast-food crap (sorry McDonalds), nourishes your body and gives you energy that lasts all day.
- ½ pound Brussels sprouts
- ¼ head purple cabbage
- ½ purple onion or shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbs. coconut nectar
- 1 Tbs. coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- salt and pepper
For those of you who might be new to Coconut Nectar, you can buy this on Amazon, Whole Foods or www.thrivemarket.com (I think they’re the cheapest)
- Cut ends of Brussels sprouts off and remove leaves, discard the core once it is too tight to remove leaves.
- Add Brussels sprouts, cabbage, onion, and jalapeno to a bowl and toss together.
- Optional: Cook both the Brussels sprouts and cabbage before adding the jalapeno – some people will find this easier to digest – like me! I love raw Brussels sprouts but my belly prefers cooked. Nothing better than a warm salad during the winter months.
- In a small bowl combine the balsamic vinegar, coconut nectar, coconut oil and garlic together. Add to vegetables and toss.
- Saute salad in sauce pan lightly, adding additional coconut oil if needed.
- Serve warm and enjoy!