I got this delicious recipe from Oh She Glows Cookbook. This book is filled with over 100 vegan recipes to help you glow from the inside out. I’ve had this book for over a year now and have tried numerous recipes…so far, I can’t say there’s a recipe I haven’t enjoyed.
Now to the soup –
Calling all veggie lovers! This soup is great if you want to cleanse and detoxify your body, especially before or after an indulgent holiday. It’s packed with detoxifying and immunity-boosting ingredients like broccoli, ginger, mushrooms, kale, nori, and garlic, and will get your healthy eating right back on track.
PREP TIME: 25 minutes COOK TIME: 20 to 30 minutes
· 1 ½ tsp coconut oil or olive oil
· 1 sweet onion, diced
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 3 C sliced cremini or white button mushrooms (about 8oz)
· 1 C chopped carrots
· 2 C chopped broccoli florets
· Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 1 ½ to 3 tsp grated, peeled fresh ginger
· ½ tsp ground turmeric
· 2 tsp ground cumin
· 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
· 5 C vegetable broth
· 2 large nori seaweed sheets, cut into 1 inch strips (optional)
· 2 C torn kale leaves – you don’t have to massage it prior to cooking as the simmering process renders it nice and tender
· Fresh lemon juice, just a squeeze to help all the flavors ‘Pop’
1. In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and broccoli and stir to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper and sauté for 5 minutes more.
3. Stir in the ginger, turmeric, cumin, and cinnamon and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, until fragrant.
4. Add the broth and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Just before serving, stir in the nori (if using) and kale and cook until wilted. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, if desired.
This soup will last up to one week in your refrigerator but I’ve never had it last that long.
And, as always, please Like this post, and share it with friends, family, your mail carrier 😉 They need love too!
Cheers to healthy eating!